History

Seeonee Lair is a converted Railway Station that still retains some original features.

The first picture below shows the station when it was still in use but the signal box, track and platform canopy have since been removed. The second picture reflects how it looks now.


The station dates back to the 1880's when it was on the line from Middlesbrough to Whitby that went via Guisborough, Skelton, Brotton and then followed the coast.

The line was used up until 1958 when it was closed as a passenger route. However, parts of the original route are still used as a mineral line to Boulby Potash mine.

The property was initially leased to us in 1963 by the estates of the Marquis of Normanby, also owner of nearby Mulgrave Castle. After a year of very hard work of conversions the site was officially opened in 1964 as a Cub Camp for the groups of East Cleveland. Since then, much has been improved.

Originally, straw had to be collected to fill palliases but now bunk beds with proper mattresses are used throughout. Central heating and double-glazing ensure that Seeonee Lair is usable all year round.


Situated above Kettleness is the hamlet of Goldsborough. This has Roman origins with the site of a Roman signal station. A plaque sited on the skyline above the old church at Kettleness indicates its existance and how it would have looked.

Several photos of past of Seeonee Lair can be seen in the Picture Gallery.